Senator Waqar Ahmed Khan, has an array of experience and expertise on issues that are vital for Pakistan’s future in Public as well as Social Sector . He has always innovatively worked at the forefront as Chairman WAKGROUP with his team and has proven to be a central Player for both the sectors. Moving forward with the legacy of his father, Senator Gulzar Ahmed Khan who started this long journey to success in late 1950’s, Senator Waqar Ahmed Khan is refining and redefining the corporate culture of Pakistan by setting unprecedented standards of excellence in service, delivery and consumer satisfaction in shape of WAKGROUP.
Thus, WAKGROUP is playing its role to serve the people of Pakistan, transcending all barriers of color, class and creed.
Senator Waqar Ahmed Khan went to the prestigious Aitchison College for his initial studies. He remained the college captain of the athletic team for 3 years. Later, he proceeded to University of Miami from where he attained advance studies in Business Administration and Comparative Economic Systems with specialization in business management organization.
Senator Waqar Ahmed Khan, was elected to the Senate of Pakistan for the first time in 1994 as the youngest ever member of the Upper House of Pakistan for a six years term and won by an overwhelming majority, securing the largest number of electoral votes from the provincial assembly of KPK. He kept serving his country as a member of upper house till 2015.
He has expertise on issues that are vital for Pakistan’s future, indeed that of the region. These include Pakistan’s political & economic challenges, as well as energy and its different dimensions.
The Senator always remained active in House business affairs and held numerous positions in the House Committees, including;
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on Textiles.
- Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Labor, Manpower and Overseas Pakistanis.
- Standing Committee of the House on Water and Power
- Standing Committee of the Defense and Communication
- Standing Committee of the Planning and Development
- Standing Committee of the Cabinet
- Standing Committee of Finance, Revenue & Statistics
- Member of the Senate Standing Committees on Cabinet
- Member of the Senate Standing Committees on Establishment and Management Services
- Member of the Senate Standing Committees on Planning and Development
- Member of the Senate Standing Committees on Foreign Affairs
- Member of the Senate Finance Committee
In addition to the above mentioned he also held the ministerial portfolios of the following;
November 2008 – December 2009
- FEDERAL MINISTER Minister for Investment Islamabad, Islamic Republic Of Pakistan
December 2009 – February 2011
- FEDERAL MINISTER Ministry for Privatization Islamabad, Islamic Republic Of Pakistan
HONORS & AWARDS
- Leadership Honor (Trade Agreement Signed with G-11 Countries)
- Signed the G-11 Countries framework agreement for economic trade held at Dead Sea, Jordan
- Co-Chairman (FoDP) Friends of Democratic Pakistan, Dubai, Govt. of Pakistan
- Keynote Speaker at Friends of Pakistan (F0DP) conference in DUBAI
- Addressed London Stock Exchange
- Lead the Pakistan Team as a Keynote Speaker to the World Islamic Economic Forum
- Represented the nation as a chief spokesman in PAK-Malaysia Joint Economic & Commercial Cooperation
With the Senator’s vision WAKGROUP has transformed itself into one of the largest business groups in Pakistan. Staying in tune with changing times, WAKGROUP has diversified its portfolio to launch top notch brands in consumer electronics, petroleum, heavy industry, construction, media, IT and fashion. In line with the status and global outlook, WAKGROUP is fully aware of its responsibilities towards its employees and the society. Therefore, the Group has a policy to promote health, safety and gender equality alongside supporting initiatives for a positive impact on the society.
Today WAKGROUP is in an expansion process which includes the following initiatives; PETROWELL More miles, More Smiles PETROWELL (Pvt.) LIMITED in an Oil Marketing Company under the umbrella of WAKGROUP and is under the process of establishing the network of petrol pumps and oil storage facilities across the country.
WAKTECH Inspired by innovation As WAKGROUP’s latest initiative in consumer electronics sector.Realizing this WAKTECH has signed three agreements with SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Korea to assemble and distribute consumer electronic products throughout Pakistan.
FALCON OIL Fueling Prosperity FALCON OIL is setting up a 100 thousand BPD world-class oil refinery at Khyber Pakhtunkhawa (KPK), in collaboration with a Chinese state owned company.
SERVING THE COMMUNITY To him business success is a matter of ‘PRIDE’ and serving the people through humanitarian initiatives is a matter of ‘JOY’. Taking his father’s legacy to the next level, Senator Waqar Ahmed Khan wants to utilize his resources, position and stature to do something positive for the people of Pakistan.WAKGROUP’s Gulzar Foundation is providing free food to underprivileged 40,000 people daily in Lahore & Dera Ismail Khan. In addition to Gulzar Foundation’s Dastarkhawans, new initiatives include Basic Health Clinics and Schools.